Get in touch with us today 

London Kings Cross

16-18 Argyle St, London WC1H 8EG

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]


  /  Kings Cross   /  What Happens With Holidays After Brexit

Central Hotel London

What Happens With Holidays After Brexit

A lot of people are concerned about what happens with their holidays after the 31st of January 2020. It’s a well-known fact that the United Kingdom has officially left the European Union. What does it really mean to your holidays?

From today 31st of January until December 31, 2020, the UK entered the so-called transition period. This means that most things will remain almost exactly the same for the next 11 months as England will be preparing a new deal with the bloc which will come into play next year (2021).

Britain will still have to follow most of the EU’s rules and regulations but should be free of them by 2021. British citizens won’t be EU citizens anymore, but will still be able to benefit from seamless travel throughout the bloc for the next few months.

If you are coming to the United Kingdom in the next 11 months from Europe, you will not need a visa, as mentioned above everything is going to be as it used to be for the 11 months. So no need to worry, if you are thinking to come and visit London, well the United Kingdom, you are most welcome because as London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan says, ‘London Is Open To Everyone’

What happens in 2021?  The European Commission has said that from 2021, travellers will need to apply for an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) visa waiver – much like when visiting America at the moment.

ETIAS can be used for up to 90 days in a period of 180 days. It will cost roughly £6 and be valid for three years – or up to the date of passport expiry.

So if you are considering booking a holiday or visiting London in 2021 from Europe, again it will not be a big issue. You will need to apply for ETIAS as The European Commission mentioned.

What about your phone? What will happen to your Instagram feed once you visit London? Well, mobile roaming charges will depend on your network so you should double-check, but most big networks have said they will continue to offer free-roaming.

EE, Vodafone, Three Mobile and o2 have all confirmed that they have no current plans to reintroduce roaming charges.

There is a law in place for those who are facing charges, this law protects people from getting huge roaming charges without knowing about it has come into effect.  Any charges above £45 have to be opted into, so chat with your phone operator about it before your holiday.

Let’s see what will happen with health insurance. European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) will still be valid until December 31 so Brits can be sure of free or reduced-cost medical treatment in the EU.

After the end of the transition period, it depends on what deal Boris strikes with the EU.

The government’s website says: “If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, your EHIC might not be valid anymore”.

What happens if you want to drive? Well we don’t see a point for you driving in London as London Transport is very efficient and tourists usually prefer to travel by public transport. Especially if you are staying at our hotel you will be literally three minutes’ walk to St Pancras International Station. But if you want to drive because you are considering going outside London for a day, for 2020 you will be able to use your European Driving License. After 2020 you will need to get hold of International Driving Permit.

In the UK the only cost you will have to pay is £5.50 and can pick up from a post office. If a British person is living in Europe they will need to swap their UK driving license to a local one before December 31, 2020.

The bottom line for your holiday this year you shouldn’t worry because everything is basically the same if you are thinking of visiting London, please do, it’s a beautiful city, you will be able to explore lot’s of places and if you are planning your trip for 2021, please do so as it looks like that it’s going to be very easy to enter the United Kingdom.

If you are looking for accommodation for this year, you can always book with us, direct is always better (of course) and hopefully, we will see you soon.

If you have a friend that is concerned about their travel, you can always share this article with him.

Resources: European Commison Website:

Post a Comment

You don't have permission to register